lunedì 1 settembre 2008

(ICSA) VENICE FAMILY CLINIC ANNOUNCES SERVICES FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE LEFT CULTS OR OTHER HIGH DEMAND GROUPS


International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA)

VENICE FAMILY CLINIC ANNOUNCES SERVICES
FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE LEFT CULTS OR OTHER HIGH DEMAND GROUPS

The program, first of its kind in the U.S., is designed specifically for
people who have left cults or other tightly controlled groups, often
burdened by their previous acculturation to beliefs and behaviors
foreign to mainstream society:
"It was a huge shock to me leaving, like stepping onto another planet.
"I grew up in a Bible based cult. I felt so claustrophobic in my group I
felt that I had to leave. I thought that the group was right in their
beliefs but I wasn't good enough for the group. I also thought that I
would die quite shortly after leaving the group because I had sinned
against God by leaving. But still I left. I was one of 9 children and
while not the oldest child I was the first in my family to leave and as
with others who had also left the group, my whole family and everybody
else in the cult stopped speaking to me when I left.
"I had real trouble shopping after I left. I remember finding it so hard
to work out how to dress, how to decide which clothes to buy. I felt
very alone and knew that no one understood where I had come from. I was
frightened, young, very naive and faced with a culture which I had no
experience of and which was completely alien to me."
--"Joan "
People who have left cults may be confused, frightened, and reluctant or
unable to articulate the extent of their disorientation from and,
sometimes, fear of mainstream culture. The new service, an innovation
developed in cooperation with the International Cultic Studies
Association and supervised by Dr. Doni Whitsett of the University of
Southern California School of Social Work, postulates that people like
Joan can benefit from specialized assistance based on an understanding
of cultic characteristics and cult dynamics. While providing aid and
referrals for clients' practical needs like medical and mental health
care, housing, education, and job training, the service will also help
them recognize and cope with issues arising from their cultic
experience.
Venice Family Clinic welcomes referrals beginning September 15, 2008.
There is no charge for this service, which is available to both English
and Spanish speakers.
Please distribute this letter to staff members who might know of
prospective clients and ask them to post the enclosed/attached
announcement. For more information, or an appointment, prospective
clients can call 310-664-7522. A flyer with contact information is
enclosed/attached.


If you do not wish to be subscribed to this list, or you think you are
being maliciously subscribed to the list, or have any other questions,
send them to icsanews-owner@list.icsahome.com or mail@icsamail.com.
________________________________________________

ICSA (International Cultic Studies Association)
[Formerly AFF (American Family Foundation)]
P.O. Box 2265
Bonita Springs, FL 34133
Phone: 239-514-3081 (new area code)
fax: 305-393-8193
E-mail: mail@icsamail.com <mailto:mail@icsamail.com>
Web site: www.icsahome.com <http://www.icsahome.com/>
Bookstore:
http://store.icsahome.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=ICIB
<http://www.cultinfobooks.com/>

Nessun commento: